One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A turbine having a large vaned wheel rotated by the wind to generate electricity.
- ‘Councillors are set to approve plans for a wind turbine that will provide two homes with electricity, despite objectors claiming it would be a ‘visual blight’.’
- ‘In conjunction with the West Wales Eco Centre, Keith Knight is hoping to supply the electricity from his wind turbine to local people at a cheap rate.’
- ‘The box at the top of the wind turbine generates the power.’
- ‘The average wind turbine produces less electricity in a year than the average family car: they produce high - cost electricity unreliably.’
- ‘A Danish engineer, Johannes Juul, was the first to connect a wind turbine with an AC generator to the electrical grid.’
- ‘Danish wind turbine builders subsequently increased their lead over competitors.’
- ‘The family are living in a two-bedroom static caravan until the site, which will include a wind turbine and solar panels to produce up to half the electricity it needs, is built.’
- ‘A small wind turbine would also help generate electricity.’
- ‘The centre is built entirely of sustainable materials, and produces its own energy through a wind turbine and solar panel.’
- ‘I am considering installing a wind turbine to generate the electricity for my small rural home.’
- ‘Our wind turbine and hydro worked virtually without hiccup, making our lives sensitive to fluctuations between energy abundance and paucity.’
- ‘Also, since solar power is not produced at night, a wind turbine can provide the electricity at this time.’
- ‘Every kWh of energy demand supplied by a wind turbine reduces the demand on conventional power stations, and therefore reduces carbon emissions.’
- ‘Besides helping to power the visitor centre, Cllr Bloom said the wind turbine would also pump some energy into the national grid and would allow people to see what it looked like up close.’
- ‘Basically, it appeared it would be easier to get permission to build a nuclear reactor in downtown Toronto then raise a wind turbine.’
- ‘One wind turbine can supply the electricity needs of more than 650 homes and cuts the amount of harmful greenhouse gases in the environment.’
- ‘At best, a wind turbine generates 0.8 of a megawatt a year.’
- ‘He praised Hongkong Electric's plan for a wind turbine on Lamma, and urged the territory's largest energy company, CLP Power, to try to catch up.’
- ‘Removing the barriers to green power is key: right now, it's just as difficult to set up a wind turbine as it is a nuclear power station.’
- ‘All I wanted to do was go stand under the giant wind turbine beside the Pickering nuclear station so I could talk to a TV camera about the virtues of wind as a source of power.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.