One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of land with a group of energy-producing windmills or wind turbines.
- ‘Villagers were celebrating in March when plans for a wind farm on land near Clowbridge Reservoir were thrown out.’
- ‘Residents have mixed views about plans to build a £50m wind farm near their homes.’
- ‘When complete, the wind farm will produce enough electricity to power 6,500 homes.’
- ‘The wind farm at Watchfield has sparked much controversy and I am accused by two letter writers of inaccurate information.’
- ‘He said local councils and other groups were also being consulted about the wind farm.’
- ‘Local residents who object to the wind farm know that they could be rejecting a huge flow of funds into the area.’
- ‘They used pinwheels to create a mock wind farm in a prominent location on campus.’
- ‘Baywind also hopes to invest in one of the 30 turbines planned by Warwick Energy for an offshore wind farm near Barrow.’
- ‘There will be no point in building a wind farm in Lewis unless the electricity it produces can be transported to the mainland.’
- ‘The businessman said he was prepared to let the wind farm be built on his land for nothing, provided it did not spoil his guests' views.’
- ‘The new wind farm off Great Yarmouth beach is not only a brilliant sight but also no danger to anyone - save the few fat cat corporate bosses.’
- ‘The Lakes park expansion would take in a Cumbrian hill called Whinash, near Shap, where a massive wind farm has been proposed.’
- ‘A wind farm, for example, is likely to occupy more land than a thermal power station.’
- ‘If they can buy the land before a planning decision is made on the wind farm, they are likely to secure it for a much lower price.’
- ‘Residents are stepping up the fight to stop a wind farm being built in a Bolton village.’
- ‘The proposed wind farm is close to the edge of the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.’
- ‘Some residents have also spoken up in favour of the wind farm.’
- ‘The wind farm has also sparked a dispute between local residents and Bord na Móna over the ownership of land.’
- ‘Campaigners are cranking up opposition to plans for a wind farm on moors north of Bury with a public meeting in Ramsbottom next week.’
- ‘She is happy for the Wellington Regional Council to own the wind farm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.