Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A malignant tumor of the kidney, of a type that occurs in young children.
- ‘Maddy was only three years old when she was diagnosed with Wilms' tumour, a rare childhood cancer that affects the kidneys.’
- ‘This pioneering, statistically based model explained both the hereditary and sporadic forms of retinoblastoma, and was followed by similar models for neuroblastoma and Wilms' tumor.’
- ‘An abdominal mass in a child may also be due to Wilms' tumor.’
- ‘She is now in good health despite being diagnosed with Wilms' tumor, a cancer which affects the kidneys, in 1999.’
- ‘Children are more likely to develop a kind of kidney cancer called Wilms' tumor.’
Early 20th century: named after Max Wilms (1867–1918), German surgeon.
Wilms' tumor/ˈwilmz ˌt(y)o͞omər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.