A sudden violent squall blowing offshore from a mountainous coast.
tempest, squallView synonyms
- ‘Black water and williwaws are different degrees of the same phenomenon.’
- ‘We get going early to beat the williwaws and are soon becalmed.’
- ‘There were quite a few times this month when it looked like summer was coming to an end as the winds picked up and blew williwaws across the bay.’
- ‘No more williwaws came and the little storm died as quickly as it had started.’
- ‘It is the term used in the Aleutians for a cold storm, and williwaws were the conditions during this conflict.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.