One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man who has lost his spouse by death and has not remarried.
- ‘Since then, hundreds of would-be widows and widowers have applied for what's billed as ‘post-mortem matrimony.’’
- ‘Watching the race will be a young widower whose wife died of cervical cancer in March.’
- ‘Where the widows or widowers have died there may be other surviving family, like grandchildren.’
- ‘Think about what the parents, widows, widowers, and children of dead service men and women are thinking and feeling as these ‘intelligence failures’ are coming to light.’
- ‘During the next two years, approximately 40 club members, including widows, widowers, divorcees and unmarried men and women, continued to push for change.’
- ‘A widower, whose wife died from leukaemia last year, is appealing to people to join the bone marrow register on her birthday.’
- ‘Many of the residents told to replace their sewers are retired, widows and widowers and single parents who are on a fixed income, and the cost of this replacement is a financial burden.’
- ‘In the past they've tried to engineer a meeting with a local widower who lost his wife and children in a car accident.’
- ‘So she is married off as the second wife of an elderly widower in a neighbouring village.’
- ‘There's a string of more complicated provisions that affect, for example, widows, widowers and divorcees.’
- ‘Widows and widowers aren't baggage-free either, and even those stalwarts who have remained single for half a lifetime will be carrying armfuls of ingrained habits and cherished routines.’
- ‘Foster carers do not need any special qualification - young couples, single people, widows and widowers and retired couples can apply.’
- ‘War widows and widowers will receive more generous payouts, and rights are to be extended to same-sex partners, under the biggest shake-up of armed forces pensions since the 1890s.’
- ‘Northern Rivers veterans and their partners, widows and widowers and children will be better off following the latest increases in veterans' pensions and allowances.’
- ‘The king was a widower, his wife having died giving birth to his daughter.’
- ‘We quite often have people in their late 60s and early 70s who sell their home - and married couples; not just widows or widowers - who decide that the time has come for them to move on.’
- ‘Widows and widowers in South China's Guangdong Province need not provide former marriage certificates when asking for a remarriage registration, according to the Guangzhou Daily.’
- ‘Since widowers have higher death rates than married people, 22 23 controlling for widowhood would be expected to reduce the relative risks in this and other studies of smoking in spouses.’
- ‘Benefit chiefs today apologised to a widower after claiming his wife was still living with him - five years after her death.’
- ‘Married to a widower with three children, her position is not much better than it was 16 years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.