One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
fully awake, conscious, open-eyed, not asleep, sleepless, unsleeping, insomniacView synonyms
- ‘When the rest of the camp is asleep, the children stay wide awake.’
- ‘Despite being dog tired, I was wide awake, listening for any inexplicable noises or voices.’
- ‘It disrupts the sleep cycle so that sufferers sleep during the day and are wide awake at night.’
- ‘By this time I was aware that I was feeling different - energetic, wide awake.’
- ‘One and a half hours to go and I am dead tired and wide awake.’
- ‘I was wide awake yet my conscious brain was refusing to accept that someone unseen was touching my face.’
- ‘Within half an hour, the moment has passed, and I'm wide awake again.’
- ‘At 3.30 I was still wide awake and feeling incredibly bad tempered.’
- ‘I am incensed, I am livid, I am wide awake at 3.20 in the morning Thursday writing this email.’
- ‘Despite the exertions of a late Friday night, it was quickly evident that the troops were wide awake early on Saturday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.