Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having important and widely applicable effects.‘a proposal with wide-reaching implications’‘a wide-reaching newspaper campaign’
far-reaching, wide-ranging, wide, sweeping, large-scale, broad, extensive, comprehensive, exhaustive, wholesale, globalView synonyms
- ‘The Competition Authority is carrying out a wide-reaching report on the state of competition in the banking market which is expected to be completed by the end of this year.’
- ‘A widespread slowdown in the growth of tropical trees could have wide-reaching impacts, given how important forests are economically.’
- ‘On a global scale, the wide-reaching impact of climate change is also taking a toll on the oceans.’
- ‘They say it takes a truckload of cash to initiate a wide-reaching newspaper campaign.’
- ‘Parliament must hold a full and wide-reaching inquiry into the domestic operations of our intelligence services, and it must do so publicly and openly.’
- ‘A ruling by the European Court of Justice last week will have wide-reaching implications for Irish taxpayers, according to tax experts.’
- ‘The president has wide-reaching powers, including serving on the supreme court.’
- ‘Some economists argue that the allowance should be scrapped altogether although such a wide-reaching move would be difficult to implement.’
- ‘There were far more men in the audience than there usually are for these readings, which says something about the author's wide-reaching appeal.’
- ‘The arrest was one of 21 in a wide-reaching sting operation involving race-fixing.’
- ‘It is important that individuals and communities get involved at an early stage when these wide-reaching plans are prepared.’
- ‘The Internet is swift, wide-reaching, and free of institutional controls.’
- ‘I do not think people getting in to this debate realise just how wide-reaching this legislation will be.’
- ‘California has enacted a law that will have an equally wide-reaching effect on corporate privacy practices.’
- ‘It is a wide-reaching and heartfelt play that raises a mirror to society and grimaces roundly at what it sees.’
- ‘To say that Adams had a wide-reaching impact on science, as the filmmakers would have us believe, may be overreaching a bit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.