One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a lens) having a short focal length and hence a field covering a wide angle.
- ‘Depending on the system, the camera may be fixed in one location with a wide-angle lens, or it may have the ability to scan up and down, pan from side to side, or even zoom in and out.’
- ‘While a wide-angle lens's ability to include a broad view can be a real blessing, often it is better to use a telephoto lens to isolate a particularly interesting portion of a scene.’
- ‘A wide-angle lens or wide zoom setting will obviously help you work closer and get more people into the frame, but be careful not to take in too much distracting background.’
- ‘Lenses shorter than 50 mm are considered wide-angle lenses; those longer than normal are considered telephoto or long lenses.’
- ‘Photographers may want to use a wide-angle lens as the nutrient-rich water expelled from the bay has generated a remarkable panorama, with myriad soft corals, whips, and hard corals.’
- ‘The best place to start is with the wide-angle lens - start with your personal mission statement, then look at the roles you are currently filling in life and the priorities attached to those.’
- ‘The painter has used a method resembling a camera's wide-angle lens.’
- ‘Even with a wide-angle lens the camera can only show a 75 degree view - and that at the expense of extreme distortion at the edges.’
- ‘At a soccer match, for example, most of the action happens near the goal; stake your position there and you may even be able to shoot with just a normal or even a wide-angle lens.’
- ‘From nearby, use a wide-angle lens to exaggerate the height of sheer rock walls or steep cliffs.’
- ‘His use of a wide-angle lens facilitated deep focus for faces and musculature, allowing him to render iconic, nearly sculptural images of beauty.’
- ‘In calmer weather, you can use a wide-angle lens to capture a striking arrangement of rocks as the seas gently envelop them.’
- ‘But once we got there we realized that I needed a tripod, and a wide-angle lens.’
- ‘With either method, using a wide-angle lens will provide room for framing error.’
- ‘The photographs in the book are shot with a wide-angle lens, allowing Wolfe to depict animals in intimate connection with their habitats.’
- ‘Unlike shooting with panoramic cameras, which rely on wide-angle lenses, this method works best with normal or mild telephoto lenses.’
- ‘Perhaps my disappointment arose because I went in with a wide-angle lens on my camera and a preconception of vertical walls and clear waters.’
- ‘In some cases, you may even want to switch to a wide-angle lens to include more of the overall setting.’
- ‘At ground level a wide-angle lens will help exaggerate the perspective of long flower rows.’
- ‘I have tried a fixed focus wide-angle eyepiece and was duly impressed with the bright image, but I still prefer the flexibility of the zoom and, at least at the top end of the market, the loss of light when zooming is not too great.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.