One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a lens) having a short focal length and hence a field covering a wide angle.
- ‘I have tried a fixed focus wide-angle eyepiece and was duly impressed with the bright image, but I still prefer the flexibility of the zoom and, at least at the top end of the market, the loss of light when zooming is not too great.’
- ‘While a wide-angle lens's ability to include a broad view can be a real blessing, often it is better to use a telephoto lens to isolate a particularly interesting portion of a scene.’
- ‘Even with a wide-angle lens the camera can only show a 75 degree view - and that at the expense of extreme distortion at the edges.’
- ‘His use of a wide-angle lens facilitated deep focus for faces and musculature, allowing him to render iconic, nearly sculptural images of beauty.’
- ‘Unlike shooting with panoramic cameras, which rely on wide-angle lenses, this method works best with normal or mild telephoto lenses.’
- ‘Depending on the system, the camera may be fixed in one location with a wide-angle lens, or it may have the ability to scan up and down, pan from side to side, or even zoom in and out.’
- ‘At a soccer match, for example, most of the action happens near the goal; stake your position there and you may even be able to shoot with just a normal or even a wide-angle lens.’
- ‘But once we got there we realized that I needed a tripod, and a wide-angle lens.’
- ‘A wide-angle lens or wide zoom setting will obviously help you work closer and get more people into the frame, but be careful not to take in too much distracting background.’
- ‘Photographers may want to use a wide-angle lens as the nutrient-rich water expelled from the bay has generated a remarkable panorama, with myriad soft corals, whips, and hard corals.’
- ‘With either method, using a wide-angle lens will provide room for framing error.’
- ‘From nearby, use a wide-angle lens to exaggerate the height of sheer rock walls or steep cliffs.’
- ‘The photographs in the book are shot with a wide-angle lens, allowing Wolfe to depict animals in intimate connection with their habitats.’
- ‘Perhaps my disappointment arose because I went in with a wide-angle lens on my camera and a preconception of vertical walls and clear waters.’
- ‘In some cases, you may even want to switch to a wide-angle lens to include more of the overall setting.’
- ‘The best place to start is with the wide-angle lens - start with your personal mission statement, then look at the roles you are currently filling in life and the priorities attached to those.’
- ‘The painter has used a method resembling a camera's wide-angle lens.’
- ‘In calmer weather, you can use a wide-angle lens to capture a striking arrangement of rocks as the seas gently envelop them.’
- ‘At ground level a wide-angle lens will help exaggerate the perspective of long flower rows.’
- ‘Lenses shorter than 50 mm are considered wide-angle lenses; those longer than normal are considered telephoto or long lenses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.