Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A facility allowing computers, smartphones, or other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another wirelessly within a particular area.
- ‘It will also deploy a Wi-Fi network to keep assorted hacks and photographers in touch.’
- ‘While Wi-Fi is becoming a standard feature on notebooks, network coverage is anything but ubiquitous.’
- ‘If you haven't yet installed a Wi-Fi network in your home, let me tell you that you have no idea what you're missing.’
- ‘Unlike the PowerBooks, they do not ship with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth as standard.’
- ‘Add Wi-Fi, standard now on most new laptops, and your home office can be anywhere.’
Convert or adapt for Wi-Fi compatibility.‘what type of electronics will be immune from being Wi-Fied?’
- ‘If you have Road Runner or DSL, you're most likely already ‘Wi-Fied’ or you have the option to call your ISP and have them do most of that legwork for you, for a nominal charge of course.’
- ‘Crown for Royal City After Jerusalem, Mysore is the world's only other city to be entirely Wi-Fied.’
- ‘The Sunday Business Post on the other hand said last week that Wi-Fiing Dublin was a missed opportunity on the part of DCC and not because of anything to do with the European Commission…?’
- ‘Cybernomads already cluster at Starbucks, migrating to Kinko's if necessary for hardcopy, and abandon their offices to sit in Wi-Fied parks on sunny days.’
- ‘So while we wait for all of these wires to be Bluetoothed and Wi-Fied into oblivion, it helps to know your plugs.’
1990s: from wireless + an apparently arbitrary second element, after hi-fi; sometimes incorrectly interpreted as a shortening of Wireless Fidelity.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.