One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large migratory swan with a black and yellow bill and a loud trumpeting call, breeding in northern Eurasia and Greenland.
Cygnus cygnus, family Anatidae
- ‘Fewer than a dozen of those whoopers continue to migrate with their adoptive parents, but none of them has yet produced offspring.’
- ‘Three juvenile female whoopers made their way to South Dakota.’
- ‘One whooper and five Bewick's swans have been fitted with transmitters which will enable them to be visibly tracked by satellite and followed online.’
- ‘Today, fewer than 200 whoopers survive in the wild, most migrating with sandhill cranes between Canada and Texas.’
- ‘As the fall of 2002 approached, researchers hoped the cranes would fly south unassisted, while a new flock of whoopers trailed ultralights.’
2short for whooping crane
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.