Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Expressing wild excitement or joy.
- ‘After an exchange of letters, I have finally got my appointment for next week - whoopee, I am still alive to attend it, thank God.’
- ‘I feel no wild whoopee, just a quiet thankfulness and feeling of ‘flatness’.’
- ‘There are just three more days to get through and then, whoopee, it's the big one: New Year's Eve.’
- ‘Everyone was pleased at the prospect that someone had stood up against our tyrant of a principal, and whoopee, that person was me.’
- ‘Also, the neighbors probably just think, ‘Free music, whoopee!’’
- ‘I thought I had a dentist after all these years - whoopee.’
- ‘And there I was-dark, red hair, messily tied up and in dusty clothes - whoopee.’
- ‘She announced the Hotel deal as the first success of the new Delegates Charter at the Congress venue - to a round of whoopees and widespread applause.’
- ‘I start, whoopee, a new show on Tuesday in England, which is called the ‘X-Factor.’’
- ‘Goodie goodie, it's London airport again, terminal 4, whoopee.’
1Wild revelry.‘hours of parades and whoopee’
pleasure, entertainment, enjoyment, amusement, excitement, gratificationView synonyms
- ‘But to pay 4.50 leva for eight small pieces of chicken and a hint of rice is not my idea of whoopee.’
- ‘However, the collective whoopee was abruptly halted when the small print was made known.’
- 1.1dated A wild party.
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘I'm not so sure that they will prioritise the late night whoopees on private property.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.