One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note having the time value of two half notes or four quarter notes, represented by a ring with no stem. It is the longest note now in common use.Also called semibreve
- ‘Students will first begin by identifying which color M&Ms represent which notes: an eighth note, a quarter note, a half note, and a whole note (the pretzels will be the stems).’
- ‘For people who might look at the score, with its long held whole notes and wonder where the music is, I can tell you that it is in the living, trembling, vibrating sounds that these dots are converted into performance.’
- ‘The whole note derives from the semibrevis of mensural notation, and this is the origin of the British name.’
- ‘If the strings were given anything to play besides extended whole notes, I didn't hear it.’
- ‘The note twice the length of the whole note is the double whole note (or breve).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.