One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A CT scan of the torso, especially one obtained for health screening purposes.
- ‘And I'll certainly not have a whole body scan with helical CT.’
- ‘Nuclear cameras have been commonly utilized to perform transverse tomographic scans and whole body scans.’
- ‘The scan can take 4 to 10 minutes if it is a whole body scan or as little as 30 seconds if the scan is just targeting a particular part of the body.’
- ‘While a patient lies on the PET scanner's bed, a Nuclear Medicine technologist sets up a PET whole body scan on the scanner console.’
- ‘A whole body scan uses radioiodine to check for thyroid cells.’
- ‘There are lots of entrepreneurs urging the public to have these expensive whole body scans for screening purposes.’
- ‘Both, however, were shown to be inferior to whole body scans obtained after a therapeutic dose of I-131.’
- ‘Evidence shows that whole body scans expose people to very high levels of radiation, sometimes up to 500 times more than the standard chest x-ray.’
- ‘The results of the FDG tumor whole body scan will be available to your referring physician on the day of the examination.’
- ‘The EPA is taking strong steps to ensure that people who choose to go ahead with a whole body scan are made fully aware of the risks involved.’
- ‘CT scans are better at detecting cancer in some tissues than in others which means that in some parts of the body even quite large tumours could still be 'missed' by a whole body scan.’
- ‘Until more research is done, routine whole body scans are probably not to be recommended.’
- ‘To avoid doing PET scans for subjects who don't have binding, we will perform a screening whole body scan.’
- ‘That's still a small individual risk, but probably not worth taking for the limited value of these whole body scans.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the clinic is offering them with whole body scans, more than 35,000 to date.’
- ‘The proposed standing and sitting postures are similar to the traditional postures for whole body scans with some abduction of the arms and legs.’
- ‘You will return for the whole body scan 48-72 hours after receiving the radioactive capsule.’
- ‘Osman opted to try a ‘true whole body scan’ on the patient to evaluate his condition.’
- ‘In the future, however, we are looking to adapt this technology so that we maybe able to do whole body scans of babies.’
- ‘Supporting the BMJ's scepticism, radiologist Stephen J. Swensen says that in a major trial in which whole body scans were used to test for lung cancer, his team made 700 other suspicious findings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.