One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Embroidery worked in white thread on a white ground.
- ‘The book is thorough, has great ideas in it, and makes whitework accessible even for the beginner.’
- ‘This is a classic whitework alphabet in Victorian style.’
- ‘Few embroidery classifications contain such a large and diverse group of styles and techniques as whitework.’
- ‘We sell kits and patterns for whitework embroidery, and all our books on whitework.’
- ‘The tools you will necessitate for whitework embellishment are minimal.’
- ‘The crown is embellished with tiny whitework flowers filled with intricate needlepoint lace fillings.’
- ‘Another loan, a whitework band sampler of about 1650, depicts Adam and Eve and comes from a private collection in the United States.’
- ‘Irish crocheted lace, Clare embroidery (floral embellishment in colored thread for garments), and Ayrshire whitework (an exquisite form of white-on-white embroidery) were invented to support starving women in nineteenth-century Great Britain.’
- ‘It continued in textile design, particularly in whitework embroidery and some printed calicoes, into the mid-nineteenth century.’
- ‘Open area between the two segments of whitework may be used for initials or another motif, if desired.’
- ‘Whatever your personal skill level, this book will change your appreciation of whitework and trapunto quilts forever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.