One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reddish to grayish American deer with white on the belly and the underside of the tail.
Odocoileus virginianus, family Cervidae
- ‘Cattle, sheep, and goats can thrive on actively managed landscapes, as can pronghorn antelope and whitetail deer.’
- ‘Native Americans hunted whitetail deer for colonists or offered food to them in exchange for manufactured goods from Europe.’
- ‘Texas has youth-only autumn hunting seasons (usually a weekend) for squirrel, whitetail deer, Rio Grande turkey and waterfowl.’
- ‘In Brent Albritton, the antlered head of a whitetail deer serves as a bucket, complete with pelt-covered handle.’
- ‘Of the 38 deer species worldwide, the whitetail in the East and mule deer in the West are the two that cause the most problems for American gardeners.’
- ‘There should be whitetail and mule deer in abundance, and this is the most likely place to spot a golden eagle.’
- ‘Point out that whitetail deer and elk populations are exploding and we respond that mule deer hunting isn't like it was.’
- ‘Unlike their European counterparts, American wildlife managers generally recommend feeding whitetails only during severe winters or prolonged droughts.’
- ‘Studies have shown that 95 percent of adult female deer ticks feed on whitetails.’
- ‘I've taken an even dozen whitetail and mule deer bucks at ranges from 20 meters to a full 80, all of which were one-shot kills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.