Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The belief that white people are superior to those of all other races, especially the black race, and should therefore dominate society.
- ‘Some in our society are actively racist, seeking to further the mission of white supremacy and all it entails.’
- ‘The published photos galvanized an African American movement against white supremacy.’
- ‘Thurmond dropped overt appeals to white supremacy only after the Voting Rights Act of 1965.’
- ‘Cross-racial adoption claims and custody litigation therefore do not represent attempts to enshrine white supremacy.’
- ‘The book, which recounts the horrors of white supremacy and the wonders of black resiliency, was the first American Book Award winner that has as its theme black genocide.’
- ‘My tradition raised questions, like those about white supremacy, that most of the larger society didn't want to interrogate.’
- ‘While this style can exhort some blacks to great sacrifice against entrenched white supremacy, it often comes up short as a means of conveying the complexities of the world.’
- ‘Because of such gains, many blacks became convinced that the entire structure of white supremacy had become vulnerable.’
- ‘John Woodruff's brilliant victory in the 800 meters at the 1936 Olympic Games helped crush Hitler's ideals of white supremacy.’
- ‘If you peer through the foggy evasions, you might catch a glimpse of white supremacy: more subtle than decades ago but still very powerful.’
- ‘They all have major black characters and themes showing African-American men fighting back against white supremacy.’
- ‘Masekela came of age just as white supremacy in South Africa was being institutionalized through apartheid.’
- ‘White mob violence against blacks was a deliberate tool used to maintain white supremacy, not to punish crime.’
- ‘By challenging segregation, King threatened the very root of white supremacy in the United States.’
- ‘The cry for war is the cry for domination, white supremacy and death.’
- ‘During the revolution black slave labour was introduced into capitalist enterprises in British colonies, the slave trade was established, as was the belief in white supremacy.’
- ‘It was racist, but in an era when the institutions of white supremacy faced no serious challenge, race was not the exclusive focus.’
- ‘In the face of Nazi white supremacy, a black athlete demonstrates the ridiculousness of the creed.’
- ‘Their role as workers, soldiers and activists in the fight against white supremacy at home and fascism abroad created vast social changes that set the stage for Brown.’
- ‘However, part of the ‘new vision’ we need must be clearly stated as embracing the demise of white supremacy and patriarchy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.