One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Obliterate a mistake with white correction fluid.
- ‘I was in the production department, which involved random paste-ups, little editorial corrections and whiting out lines when they went over the panel border.’
- ‘You can't just hit delete, you have to rip the pages or white out the text.’
- ‘The governor's office had whited out the answers.’
- ‘A teacher at the school took a copy of the New York ballot paper, photocopied it and whited out all the nominees names, putting school subjects in their place.’
- ‘Because of the privacy thing, when looking at students' papers, we white out all the names that are in the paper.’
- ‘They should release the documents containing the allegations against him, with the sensitive bits whited out.’
- 1.1 Cover one's face or facial blemishes completely with makeup.
2Impair someone's vision with a sudden bright light.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.