One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sauce of flour, melted butter, and milk or cream.
- ‘Sauces made from tomatoes, onions and olive oil or white sauces made from soya milk and cornflour were suggested as an accompaniment to evening meals.’
- ‘The plate was piled high with slices of beef, Chinese pork, prawns and vegetables such as broccoli and mushrooms in a creamy, white sauce.’
- ‘The dish seems magical, but you only need a little basic cooking science to make one - it is nothing more than flavored white sauce folded into beaten egg whites.’
- ‘More significantly, he is probably the man who first invented the famous béchamel or white sauce.’
- ‘The book had no pictures, except on the cover, which showed a large roast of lamb, fish baked in white sauce accompanied by boiled carrots, and a mould of bright red gelatin.’
- ‘Mix the cooked pasta, tomato, white sauce, salt and chilli sauce.’
- ‘A white sauce is just a plain sauce that needs flavour added to it, but it is the base for any creamy sauce used in any cooking.’
- ‘Make a white sauce by melting the butter then mixing in the flour.’
- ‘On the numerous occasions I've been here I or my friends have eaten all sorts of wonderful Bulgarian dishes, such as stuffed peppers with white sauce, or fried courgettes with yogurt.’
- ‘Accompanying both our meals was a dish of leeks in white sauce, sautéed potatoes with onion and lovely sweet, nutty roast beetroot.’
- ‘The whole thing is flash fried and served with a spicy, crawfish based white sauce.’
- ‘Usually, it is accompanied by potatoes, white sauce, and peas.’
- ‘There are no substitutes for decent cheese or a good old-fashioned white sauce, and pasta is always pasta.’
- ‘We serve ours with a traditional fluffy white sauce dolloped on each slice.’
- ‘Pizza Hut only recently eliminated chicken broth from its pizza sauce but still uses it in the white sauce in pasta dishes.’
- ‘‘I'd like some linguine in a white sauce with a side salad,’ I smiled up at her.’
- ‘Add white sauce to clam mixture and simmer 10 minutes; do not boil.’
- ‘As she entered the small kitchen she saw the stowaway serving plates of what looked like pasta with white sauce.’
- ‘Serve with white sauce loaded with onions, and peas & corn on the side.’
- ‘To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.