- ‘The grammatical treatises of the time..are mainly the work of non-Russian scholars - White Russians and Ukrainians.’
- 1.1An opponent of the Bolsheviks during the Russian Civil War.
- ‘Perhaps this mixture comes from her background - her grandfather was a White Russian (her real name is Ilyena Lydia Mironoff), her mother a working-class English girl from Pimlico.’
2A cocktail made of vodka, coffee liqueur, and milk served on ice.
- ‘As per your suggestion, I had a stiff Tom Collins, followed by some White Russians and a few shooters.’
- ‘I had never actually had a White Russian before that night.’
- ‘‘She'd love a White Russian,’ Ally called from across the table.’
- ‘Jonnie Daniels tells me a White Russian is equal quantities of Vodka, Kahlua and milk.’
- ‘I order a White Russian and he orders another Sex on the Beach.’
- ‘Fill your glass with a milk- or cream-based drink such as a White Russian, which packs a 10.8-gram protein punch with 262 calories per serving.’
- ‘At one point a couple came in, ordered drinks - a White Russian for him, champagne for her.’
- ‘Phil Pearce and Jim Baron in Nottingham want to know the ingredients of a White Russian.’
- ‘Uninspiring liquor coffees and cocktails are available from €5 to €7.50, and they might even do you a White Russian if you ask nicely.’
- ‘Lowtax prepared a White Russian and a bowl of chili for himself.’
- ‘Benji even showed me how to make a White Russian his way.’
- ‘I do not drink any cocktails more complicated than Jack and Coke or a White Russian.’
- ‘In the latter part of the seventeenth century the influence of the White Russian and Ukrainian scholars and writers began to be felt.’
- 1.1Relating to the opponents of the Bolsheviks.
- ‘Its leader was a German Jew, Richard Kauder, who worked with two White Russian émigrés, Anton Turkul and Ilya Lang.’
- ‘Dunne, a silver-voiced soprano with aristocratic pretensions equal to any White Russian, had a great time in the role.’
- ‘The troops were withdrawn in a leapfrogging operation, which ended on 27 September, leaving the head of the Archangel government, a White Russian general called Miller, to his fate.’
- ‘During the Russian Revolution Boris joined the anti-communist White Russian navy.’
- ‘By the end of 1930s, the Corps was an international force, with American, English, Scottish, Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Portuguese, Filipino and White Russian units.’
- ‘Among this latter group, one of MI5's undercover women agents found a White Russian refugee woman who had befriended a cipher clerk in the US embassy in London, called Tyler Kent.’