One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian poplar with lobed leaves that are white underneath and gray-green above.
Populus alba, family SalicaceaeAlso called abele
- ‘Regular application of Ca 2 + in the nutrient solution was shown to improve survival after freezing in both the freezing-tolerant white poplar and the susceptible hornbeam.’
- ‘White poplar is found in forty-three states throughout the contiguous U.S.’
- ‘In the white poplar, a broad shade tree in their grandparents' yard, Louise and Elizabeth climbed, swung, and hid.’
- ‘It is the white trunk and bark of white poplar which is particularly striking, along with the beautiful two-toned leaves.’
- ‘At death the infernal Zeus metamorphosed her into a white poplar, which was ultimately removed into Elysium.’
white poplar/(h)wīt ˈpäplər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.