One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The task that white colonizers believed they had to impose their civilization on the black inhabitants of their colonies.
- ‘We will go out, we will pick up the white man's burden and we will colonise these areas that are not yet under our domination.’
- ‘Earlier settlers are cruel and violent, unable to understand the white man's burden in Africa or the value of fairness and bureaucracy.’
- ‘It is a sort of modern style of the white man's burden in 2004.’
- ‘He obviously thinks it's time we donned our pith helmets and picked up the white man's burden again.’
- ‘This is hardly surprising, since the white man's burden has long been recognized as an excuse for the most vile exploitation.’
- ‘He bears the white man's burden with exceptional grace.’
- ‘He blamed the white man who, in the name of civilization and ‘the white man's burden,’ impoverished many peoples in the world.’
- ‘The self-defeating nature of imperialism is slyly suggested through a dramatic reversal that exploits the notion of the white man's burden.’
- ‘Even the neocons, for all their viciousness and totalitarian gut instincts, sometimes show signs of taking their white man's burden seriously.’
- ‘You know, apart from ‘the white man's burden,’ there were other patronising ideas floating around at the time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.