One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white ibis with a red face and a long decurved red bill, found chiefly from the southern US to northern South America.
- ‘Other wildlife such as river otters, wood storks, white ibis, great blue herons, limpkins, and great egrets can be spotted in the canal.’
- ‘Some years, the number of long-legged wading birds nesting in Florida's Everglades - white ibis, snowy egret, tricolored heron, and the like - shoots up to about four times its normal level.’
- ‘At Vedanthangal one can sight glossy and white ibis, painted storks, grey pelicans, shovellors, garganey, whistling teals, Indian moorhen and dabchicks, says K. Murugan, who briefs visitors on the bird species.’
- ‘About 50 species were recorded there including long distance migrants like pallid harriers, ruff and reeves, white ibis, comb ducks, etc.’
- ‘Black-headed white ibises hunch about in their craven manner, and pond herons stand stock still, eyes on the water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.