Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fine wheat flour, typically bleached, from which most of the bran and germ have been removed.
- ‘Whole-grain flour is heavier than white flour.’
- ‘It's made of white flour plus some wheat bran and wheat germ - the two ingredients that are removed from whole-wheat flour when it's refined.’
- ‘Refined white flour is what's left after the nutrient-packed germ and bran are milled out of the wheat kernel.’
- ‘They drink two liters of water daily, minimize fried foods and avoid junk foods, white rice, white flour, processed sugar and degraded oils.’
- ‘Most of the wheat consumed by humans is processed from white flour, which is produced by milling to remove the germ and bran (pericarp, testa, nucellar layer, and aleurone layer).’
- ‘Excessive processed salt, sugar, white flour, cholesterol laden animal fats, fungal foods or fungal laden foods and cigarette smoking should be avoided.’
- ‘Stop eating junk foods - sugar, white flour, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives.’
- ‘Avoid products made with ‘wheat flour’ or ‘enriched wheat flour,’ which are other names for white flour.’
- ‘Most wheat products available in our supermarkets contain bleached flour or white flour, as we call it.’
- ‘If you need to add more flour, add more white flour, not corn flour.’
- ‘Substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for bleached white flour to decrease the carbohydrate count and add fiber.’
- ‘Small tarts would be made with a rich pastry of fine white flour, butter, sugar, saffron, and other good things, certainly meant to be eaten.’
- ‘The system, known as Branscan, allows millers to mix very pure white flour with flour of lower grade to produce an acceptable overall blend, thereby improving their cost margins.’
- ‘You must remember nothing will be effective if you continue to consume alcohol, caffeine, sodas, sugar, salt, pork, red meat, white flour and junk food.’
- ‘The only carbs I restrict are those in refined sugars, white flour, polished rice/grains, and beer.’
- ‘What we do here is to use organic grains, vegetables, nine-grain roti and sattu ki roti, which offers healthier options to wheat and white flour.’
- ‘Simple carbohydrates, particularly white sugar and white flour in cakes, sweets, pasta, bread and potatoes, can also cause disruptions in blood sugar levels.’
- ‘There are those made from refined sugar and white flour and which make your blood sugar rise quickly, giving you a rapid blast of insulin.’
- ‘White sugar, white flour, coffee, and alcohol may also contribute to magnesium depletion.’
- ‘Beans and popcorn are much better than bleached white flour, bread and pasta with less than 1 gm dietary fiber per serving.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.