One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sparrow that winters in southern and eastern North America. It has prominent yellow eyebrows and a white patch at the throat.
- ‘The white-throated sparrow is uncommon in winter along the west coast of the United States, and it is rare to see one in southern California.’
- ‘Yes, we enjoy the birds that make up our winter scene and are glad when the white-throated sparrows and the juncos return.’
- ‘Joann Hanowski, a research fellow with the Natural Resources Research Institute in Duluth, has noted a dramatic decline in ground-nesting birds such as white-throated sparrows and ovenbirds.’
- ‘At the Arboretum, white-throated sparrows were everywhere in the gardens.’
- ‘I can hear the songs of migrating birds: phoebes, white-throated sparrows, towhees, catbirds, chipping sparrows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.