Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pale from fear, ill health, or tiredness.‘she emerged white-faced and shaking’
white, pallid, pasty, pasty-faced, wan, colourless, anaemic, bloodless, washed out, peaky, peakish, ashen, ashen-faced, ashy, chalky, chalk-white, grey, whitish, white-faced, whey-faced, waxen, waxy, blanched, drained, pinched, green, ghastly, sickly, sallow, as white as a sheet, as white as a ghost, deathly pale, cadaverous, corpse-like, looking as if one had seen a ghostView synonyms
- ‘Occasionally you see a white-faced soldier in the canteen, his hair matted with sweat, taking half an hour to eat a carrot.’
- ‘Many a movie star was reduced to tears or driven to white-faced rage when they tried to mix in.’
- ‘He leaped straight up out of bed, trembling and white-faced.’
- ‘She struggled to follow, but the white-faced girls crowded back, blocking her way and shutting her in.’
- ‘When Mrs Williams came into my office in the morning she was white-faced and shaking with rage.’
- ‘The white-faced servants were huddling together in the hall, with the frightened butler wringing his hands in the doorway.’
- ‘A hush seems to fall over the busy Soho snug where we sit as he, white-faced, tries desperately not to burst into tears.’
- ‘An instant later a white-faced, hard - breathing policeman had opened the door, the candle wavering in his trembling hand.’
- ‘They would stand before him, white-faced, trembling and so frightened they seemed to lose the shape of humanity itself.’
- ‘A white-faced Lieutenant pointed to the huge screen on the wall.’
- ‘Jane looked up white-faced at her father and said, "I must go."’
- ‘His young son comes trailing white-faced behind.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.