One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-legged duck with an upright stance and a whistling call, often perching on branches.
Genus Dendrocygna, family Anatidae: several speciesAlso called tree duck
- ‘Apart from the ducks already mentioned there were some Bronzewinged Jacanas, Little grebes, Coots, Spotbilled and Lesser whistling ducks.’
- ‘You're likely to see waders as well as a variety of herons, stilts, and even the endangered West Indian whistling duck.’
- ‘Flocks of magpie geese and whistling ducks, startled by the outboard, take to the air shattering the early morning silence with their calls.’
- ‘Rendezvous Bay stretches for 2 miles, and the nearby salt ponds attract whistling ducks, laughing gulls and other birds.’
- ‘There are nature sites with viewing platforms overlooking wild iguanas, egrets, West Indian whistling ducks, and many other birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.