One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a small, slender breed originally produced as a cross between the greyhound and the terrier or spaniel, bred for racing.
- ‘Some underfeed their whippets, lurchers, or greyhounds, because they mistakenly think these breeds are meant to be stick-thin.’
- ‘‘I've always loved greyhounds and whippets,’ says Myles, glancing over at his pet's naturally doleful expression.’
- ‘We were going very slow, so we were passed by a number of speedy, whippets who were clearly treating this as a slightly longer-than-usual training run.’
- ‘I was still able to get a flavour of the place through my meetings with animals such as Trixie the eight-year-old whippet cross, with whom I struck up an immediate friendship.’
- ‘He had an abundance of dogs which he raised and trained, including lurchers, spaniels, Labradors, Jack Russells and whippets.’
- ‘People across the country might reckon we all go about with cloth caps and whippets but Yorkshire is a very beautiful county and perhaps we should be shouting about how wonderful the natural landscape is.’
- ‘Several of the dogs and Monty were given oxygen therapy, but one dog, a whippet called Smokey, died after inhaling too much smoke.’
- ‘It is pretty well understood that both whippets and setters/pointers were used in the early development of the breed.’
- ‘As the fisherman approaches, the falconer's spaniels look enquiringly at each other, and his whippet, all four paws at attention, stares respectfully at such an admirable salmon.’
- ‘It was the perfect setting for dogs - and Myles's first choice was whippets.’
- ‘Much of the population is daft about dogs and there are not many whippets here so people stop us in the street.’
- ‘Manchester Dogs' Home is seeking an owner for Murphy, a cross whippet.’
- ‘Up here in the frozen North it is grim, nothing but cloth caps, whippets and warm beer.’
- ‘Prouty, who breeds and shows Australian shepherds, had given the whippet's future plenty of thought by this point.’
- ‘He spent the early years of his life playing in the bar with a whippet and a greyhound.’
- ‘You can equate it with the size, say, of a whippet, a dog.’
- ‘In addition to salukis, eligible breeds are whippets, greyhounds, Afghan hounds, borzois, Ibizan hounds, pharaoh hounds, Irish wolfhounds, and Scottish deerhounds.’
- ‘There will be three rings at the dog show for greyhounds, lurchers, whippets and any other breeds.’
- ‘She was on her way to an important business meeting and was dressed to impress when the whippet cross ran out in front of her car in Shannon Way.’
- ‘Mrs Yacoby-Wright and her mother Eva breed whippets and own seven dogs between them.’
Early 17th century: partly from obsolete whippet ‘move briskly’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.