Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In contrast or comparison with the fact that.‘you treat the matter lightly, whereas I myself was never more serious’
- ‘Berti wants as many of them as possible, whereas I deliberately minimised them.’
- ‘Now that's brave, whereas sitting here with cancer, typing a magazine article, is not.’
- ‘Her car had been found on the Yorkshire moors, whereas she'd reappeared about fifty miles from there.’
- ‘Someone in prison is still able to contribute something to society whereas someone executed cannot.’
- ‘We have natural light whereas working underground we had artificial light.’
- ‘A nonalignable difference is that a bus has a schedule whereas a bicycle does not.’
- ‘We can make this in minutes; whereas previously it would take hours to make this part.’
- ‘The port was well fortified and defended, whereas the Vendéans had no siege train.’
- ‘Cooking for me is like putting on a show - I like to improvise, whereas Nicky is much more precise.’
- ‘A dark room will trigger less light, whereas a bright room will drive more light output.’
- ‘At the beginning of this debate Stephen said that he thinks that he is a positivist, whereas I am a Platonist.’
- ‘To the north, the second lava unit is by far the thickest, whereas the older unit is only 2 m thick.’
- ‘It is possible for the non-bidding team to win the game if they reach the target whereas the bidders are still below it.’
- ‘This measure of right and left has not changed in hundreds of years, whereas specific policies have.’
- ‘He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.’
- ‘She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.’
- ‘Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.’
- ‘It was based on polar coordinates whereas earlier instruments were based on cartesian coordinates.’
- ‘The Arctic is an ocean basin with peripheral continents, whereas the Antarctic is continental.’
- ‘The supernatant was kept in stock whereas the residue was sequentially extracted three times.’
- 1.1(especially in legal preambles) taking into consideration the fact that.
- ‘Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.’
- ‘The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.’
- ‘The restoration procedure is discretionary, whereas the challenge to the forfeiture is not.’
- ‘Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.