One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
hound, canine, mongrel, cur, tykeView synonyms
- ‘Sometimes mothers will really put up a fuss about me taking their new whelps and putting them in a puppy box.’
- 1.1 A cub.
- 1.2 A boy or young man (often as a disparaging form of address)
- ‘I cannot describe to you my shock and fear at being woken by the vulgarities of a loutish young whelp, who had driven his auto-mobile next to the chamber's small window.’
- ‘I remember your little friend shoving you into one before she because a pincushion, and you blasted me from there, you little whelp.’
- ‘The only prize a churlish young whelp like you should get is a good hiding!’
- ‘It was directed at those same teachers and bourgeois parents whose sanctions and strictures many of us young whelps so deeply resented.’
- ‘What I want to know Nago is if that whelp of a boy is going through with his orders.’
- 1.3whelps A set of projections on the barrel of a capstan or windlass, designed to reduce the slippage of a rope.
(of a female dog) give birth to (a puppy)‘Copper whelped seven puppies’no object ‘a bitch due to whelp’
- ‘Not all shih-tzu mothers do what they are suppose to do, and in these cases, a breeder must act quickly to save the newly whelped shih-tzu puppy.’
- ‘If she is too exhausted to eat right after whelping, she will be ready by the next day most usually.’
- ‘The length of most bitch pregnancies is 63 days and most show signs when they are just about ready to whelp.’
- ‘I myself signed off on the plan before you were whelped, and it has ensured that I stay rich and powerful long after I should have been dead.’
- ‘Debra has sent me a copy of a well-written piece on Norwich Terriers from Dog World a few years ago, which sums up the breed's difficulty whelping rather well, I thought.’
- ‘If more than four contractures there may be a problem if the Shih Tzu puppy has not been whelped.’
- ‘And we expect that she'll whelp any time from this weekend.’
- ‘Make it sloppy food for the first few days after the whelping.’
- ‘About two or two-and-a-half weeks to go now till whelping.’
- ‘My dogs also like Pedigree Canned Puppy food right after whelping.’
- ‘The gloves were off from an early stage as a host of young greyhounds whelped January ‘01 or later went in search of the prize.’
- ‘No one knows for certain when the first Rottweiler came to America, but the first litter of Rotties whelped in this country was born in 1930.’
- ‘The son of a Sussex spaniel sire and a field spaniel dam, Obo was whelped in 1879.’
- ‘That same year the kennel registered the first Doberman in the American Kennel Club Stud Book, Doberman Intelectus, whelped June 20, 1908.’
- ‘Her attitude can affect her puppies in utero and then later after whelping as well.’
- ‘Twenty-four hours later, I was assembling the £50 Newborn flatpack, which arrived complete with fake fleece lining and a guide to whelping.’
- ‘It is always a good idea to take your mom to the vet shortly after whelping to be sure she has not retained a placenta or even a dead puppy that will need to be expelled.’
- ‘It was the first outing for both of these young brindle bitches which were whelped in February and March 02.’
(of a female dog) pregnant.
- ‘After 65 days and what I thought was a bitch in whelp, has turned out to be a full blown phantom pregnancy.’
- ‘The only sure way to tell if she is pregnant will be to have a scan at around 4-5 weeks, and she will be ‘pregnant’ or in whelp for around 59-63 days.’
- ‘All puppies are kept in the cool basement in the hot weather, and during the summer our bitches in whelp are kept there also.’
- ‘Even with this regime, it took one of the bitches four seasons before she finally proved in whelp.’
- ‘Hohenbruck, Thornton's first German shorthaired pointer, arrived in Missoula in whelp.’
- ‘Do not feed to bitches in whelp, Can be used long-term, although a break is recommended as necessary.’
- ‘I have found it pays best to give the bitch in whelp a generous feed of raw meat daily.’
- ‘I now have 5 of the new breed after importing a bitch in whelp from Sweden and then breeding my Grand Champion bitch this year.’
- ‘It is a sure indication that the bitch is in whelp and it will last throughout the rest of the pregnancy, but if the colour of the discharge changes another 5 day course is advisable.’
- ‘Its over hour drive there and back - with her being in whelp don't think that is good idea.’
Old English hwelp (noun), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch welp and German Welf.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.