Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region where wheat is the chief agricultural product.
- ‘But they just don't know whether the damage might happen anyway with the marching salinisation in the wheat belt.’
- ‘Leaving Ottowa for Winnipeg by train to travel across the wheat belt, the train arrived in Calgary having been delayed by a Tornado.’
- ‘Despite widespread rain last week, the Department of Agriculture's latest crop review predicts only an average year for WA's wheat belt.’
- ‘The Selection Acts of the 1860s made land available for smallholders and the successful development of the wheat belt at the end of the nineteenth century was also heavily assisted by governments.’
- ‘Whether in response to my low mark or symbolic of his general misdirection, he was last heard of driving a tractor at seeding time in the wheat belt some several hundred miles east of Perth.’
- ‘Essentially parts of central Queensland and southern Queensland, particularly in the western wheat belt areas, aren't too bad.’
- ‘A major Japanese power company intends to plant 2.5 million trees in Western Australia's wheat belt.’
- ‘Combine harvesters, first introduced in the wheat belt of the Cape, became common in the larger highveld maize districts from the late 1960s.’
- ‘A group of children from the Western Australian wheat belt is delivering hope to an impoverished community half a world away.’
- ‘They pop up unexpectedly every few kilometres in the wheat belt, normally serviced by a railway siding, and harboring grain in readiness for shipment to Iraq, or wherever.’
- ‘So, we want to unlock that and by doing that you could be sitting at an Internet terminal on the wheat belt of Western Australia trying to find out what was there.’
- ‘Vast areas of bush have been cleared for agriculture, particularly in the wheat belt.’
- ‘I've only ever met two farmers from the Western Australian wheat belt in my life - John Hyde and Peter Walsh.’
- ‘Areas around Sydney and the wheat belt of southern Western Australia have experienced their lowest rainfall since records began in the 1900s.’
- ‘There is a marked difference between those living in prosperous wheat belt and wine country, compared with those in declining steel towns.’
- ‘The Silo Project is a research project collecting audible stories from workers in silos throughout the Victorian wheat belt.’
- ‘But we're here to talk about mice and particularly the fact that there are plagues in the wheat belt and so on.’
- ‘This agricultural region is largely within the Missouri River drainage and includes parts of the corn, dairy, and wheat belts.’
- ‘On day nine, dash back along the inland highway to Fremantle: five hours, straight through the southwest's wheat belt.’
- ‘It's going to spill into this week, too - particularly after the Western Australian Nats had their fun at their conference in the wheat belt town of Merredin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.