One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for whatchamacallit
thing, so-and-so, whatever it is, whatever it is calledView synonyms
- ‘I think if I married you for your money, I'd spend your 30,000 whatsits that afternoon and then realize it was all a big mistake.’
- ‘Do we still need such a thing in the era of consumer sovereignty and multi-channel, digital, interactive whatsits?’
- ‘And what of the recently ended World Cup football whatsit?’
- ‘She wasn't good enough, quite frankly, but she was one of the active whatsits, there were other pressures behind her, and she caused an uproar.’
- ‘I'm sure one of us must know someone important on that lottery whatsit?’
- ‘Here are three whatsits from different parts of the country.’
- ‘The lads have worked their whatsits off and I believe we will get better.’
- ‘I struggled out, disturbing the lazy whatsits as little as possible, and yawned my way in the general direction of the unusual sounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.