Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to refer to a person or thing whose name one cannot recall, does not know, or does not wish to specify.‘she wanted me to get the whatchamacallit from her bureau’
- ‘I spend a lot my time these days trolling the aisles of our local Home Depot on weekends looking for whatchamacallits - some part or thing I hope will accomplish a task at hand.’
- ‘Apparently there is some legislation which sets the top volume setting for personal stereo whatchamacallits so that we don't damage our hearing.’
- ‘You won't be able to buy these little guys - the manufacturer designs servo motors for robotic pets and other gadgets and built these little robotic whatchamacallits to attract showgoers.’
- ‘Modern flashlights are like many other electronic gadgets, gizmos and whatchamacallits - they are high-tech.’
- ‘In the meantime, we'll be acquainting ourselves with this super-duper whatchamacallit!’
- ‘It's the van's six-month service date and it's getting a new whatchamacallit to do something to prevent a thing with the transmission.’
- ‘You were on a break, and I was playing with that whatchamacallit, the menagerie display?’
- ‘I usually manage to do all my transactions online or face to face but have reached the point where I must grab the whatchamacallit by the whatsit and make two calls for work.’
- ‘All I know is that the wound has to be cleaned out and bandaged to stop infection or whatever, but as for stitches and numbing whatchamacallits, I'm about as clueless as the next person.’
- ‘We've got labels on everything to tell you this is good for you, this is why, it has this many grams of whatchamacallit in it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.