One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
What motivates someone.‘people are curious to know what makes these men tick’
- ‘In evaluating anyone's ability, I look at what kind of person they are first, try to find out what makes them tick, their ambitions, what switches them on.’
- ‘We're good at finding out about people, what makes them tick, what they are interested in, what they have bees in their bonnets about - a key networking skill.’
- ‘You come to a place in your life, though, where you really learn what makes you tick as an actress.’
- ‘They need work that allows them to develop deep one to one relationships with people, letting them understand others and discover what makes them tick.’
- ‘I'd like the opportunity to find out a bit what they were like as people, what makes them tick, and, you know, enjoy their company.’
- ‘I get a thrill when I can get into the male psyche and learn about what makes them tick.’
- ‘It's been a joy to play Kate and to delve into what makes her tick: love, patience and a huge sense of humour.’
- ‘No one really knows how these people think, what makes them tick, and which of the five contenders stirs their blood.’
- ‘Get in the head of each person, find out what makes them tick.’
- ‘He knows his people, what makes them tick - and why - as a result of encouraging them to talk, drawing them out and asking questions.’
- ‘His son-in-law once said to him, ‘I have asked myself what makes you tick.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.