One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flavivirus of African origin that can be spread to humans and other mammals via mosquitoes, causing encephalitis and flulike symptoms, with some fatalities.
- ‘An elderly Georgia woman was confirmed on Friday as the first fatality this year from West Nile virus.’
- ‘How can you avoid the itch as well as mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus?’
- ‘The president's regressed condition is spreading like the West Nile virus throughout the West Wing and beyond.’
- ‘There have been a small number of cases of tourists in Europe catching West Nile virus from mosquito bites.’
- ‘Reports of the possible spread of West Nile virus to Florida are a reminder that mosquitoes are no mere summertime irritant.’
- ‘There have been seven confirmed cases of West Nile virus encephalitis this year in Florida.’
- ‘Mosquitoes acquire West Nile virus from birds and pass it on to other birds, animals and people.’
- ‘Further testing yesterday at the California Department of Health Services confirmed West Nile virus infection.’
- ‘People become infected with West Nile virus, a strain of encephalitis, through the bite of infected mosquitoes.’
- ‘Harley, a barred owl, gets a vaccination for the West Nile virus from Dr. Jim Langley.’
- ‘Diagnosis of West Nile virus can be difficult using current methods.’
- ‘A kidney recipient tested positive for West Nile virus but was reported to have no symptoms.’
- ‘Humans can contract the disease when bitten by mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus.’
- ‘Humans typically acquire West Nile virus through a bite from an infected adult mosquito.’
- ‘Birds are the main carriers of the West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquitoes.’
- ‘But the St. Louis encephalitis virus is actually more lethal than the West Nile virus.’
- ‘Wild birds are the primary hosts for West Nile virus, which is passed among animals via mosquito bites.’
- ‘Surveillance of mosquitoes, sentinel birds, and dead birds for West Nile virus in America warned of this summer's impending outbreak.’
- ‘You've probably heard of Murray Valley encephalitis, part of the same family as the West Nile virus.’
- ‘Biologists suspect that migrating birds are spreading West Nile virus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.