Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An original and bountiful source of something.‘sadness is the wellspring of creativity’
source, supply, wellspring, fount, fountainhead, reservoir, mine, fund, bank, repository, storehouse, treasuryView synonyms
- ‘But California has a robust economy, boasts a diverse and vibrant population, provides technological leadership for the world, and remains a wellspring of new ideas.’
- ‘From the moment he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1988, his wellsprings of creativity almost completely dried up.’
- ‘It is at the source, the wellspring of our feelings, that we may then either amplify or transform them.’
- ‘They also underscore the enduring richness of the continent's cultural heritage, which serves as a wellspring of creativity worldwide.’
- ‘We romanticize depression as a wellspring of finer thought, as the source of melancholic insight for artists, deep thinkers and sensitive souls.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.