One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a chair or sofa) having plenty of padding.
large-breasted, big-breasted, full-breasted, heavy-breasted, bosomy, large-bosomed, big-bosomed, full-bosomedView synonyms
- ‘The eating area is mainly in well upholstered booths which overlook the amazing sights one can see in Soi 7.’
- ‘It has about 40 well-upholstered seats, set behind four big armchairs originally installed by Dwight Eisenhower, with footstools in front of them for the president, family and guest of honour.’
- ‘He's sitting in a well-upholstered armchair that has for some reason been placed on the lawn of his home.’
- ‘But for this sort of philosophising we need a special place to sit - and I don't mean a well-upholstered armchair by the fire.’
- ‘There is that same absolutely beautiful girl sitting in a well upholstered chair next to a bassinet.’
- ‘Alexander waited until Maria had settled onto the sofa, before himself sitting down in a well-upholstered armchair.’
- 1.1humorous (of a person) fat.
fat, fattish, obese, overweight, plump, portly, stout, chubby, paunchy, beer-bellied, thickset, hefty, heavy, heavyset, burly, bulky, chunky, well padded, well covered, meaty, fleshy, rotund, round, well rounded, broad, broad in the beam, of ample proportions, big, large, gargantuan, elephantineView synonyms
- ‘They're all big, well-upholstered fellas, with red faces.’
- ‘The boys frantically raced about pleading with newspapers not to buy the piece because their mother didn't know about their well-upholstered friend the stewardess.’
- ‘There's a wedding party in progress at the top table - an assortment of older relatives, skylarking kids and well-upholstered bridesmaids.’
- ‘A definite man's man, he just can't help commenting on well-upholstered women.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.