One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a person) clean, tidy, and well dressed.
neat, smart, well turned out, well dressed, neatly dressed, besuited, trim, dapper, elegant, chic, with not a hair out of placeView synonyms
- ‘A tanned, well-groomed man in a blue blazer and grey slacks walks between the curtains.’
- ‘‘Quality suits and separates wear and hang better than inferior fabrics and show all the signs of a well groomed individual’.’
- ‘He came into the classroom and to my surprise he was fairly well groomed and dressed.’
- ‘Look a little closer at the well-groomed kids with innocent, idyllic faces in school blazers or the teens that look identical to their parents except for their age.’
- ‘She was well-groomed enough, and her posture was perfectly straight.’
- ‘The articulate, well-groomed man had arrived from Florida a few weeks earlier.’
- ‘Three well-groomed men in suits pose on the back of the CD case.’
- ‘I try to be well-groomed, but clean, well-cut hair and a dab of lipstick are about the extent of my beauty regimen.’
- ‘First impressions are everything in the flirting game and a well-groomed man holds more appeal than one with grubby fingernails and scruffy clothes.’
- ‘One young lord in particular, a fair-sized, well-groomed man dressed in the finest velour and silks was forced to sit at the table's farthest end.’
- ‘At first sight the tall, well-groomed man, with his thick, wavy black hair and piercing blue eyes, slim and handsome in a new kilt, appeared to be quite a catch.’
- ‘The unshakeable belief that gloves were an important component in any well-groomed woman's wardrobe continued right up till the late 1960s.’
- ‘I would come in early and bring him down and bathe him, shave him and moisturize him before any visitors would come in, he was always a very well groomed man so there was no way I was going to let him not look his best.’
- ‘Photos of the pair show two young, well-groomed men, one wearing a tie.’
- ‘I'm not by nature a particularly well-groomed person.’
- ‘Darla's dad was a handsome, well-groomed man who knew where every hair on his head was supposed to go and knew exactly how to get them to go there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.