One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having special advantages, especially good looks.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured.’
- ‘Leon was popular and well favored.’
- ‘The Carlow clubs have been reasonably well favoured by the luck of the draw.’
- ‘The more ambitious and well favoured tend to become obtrusive, and, eventually, inevitably, an embarrassment to their masters.’
- ‘They soon picked him out as a lad who listened closely and remembered well; he was in those days well favoured, and pleasing in his behaviour.’
- ‘We live in one of the most well-favored parts of the world here and the abuse is unacceptable and very sad.’
- ‘The star of the appellation is Roc des Combes, produced on a particularly well-favoured site on the Gironde itself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.