One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
From a noble or wealthy family.
august, distinguished, illustrious, eminent, esteemed, great, elevated, exalted, honoured, venerable, dignified, refined, respectableView synonyms
- ‘A high-caste, well-born, English-educated lawyer had voluntarily chosen to give up power and position and live the life of an Indian peasant.’
- ‘‘A well-born wife,’ Maximus pursued, ‘is gold in one's purse.’’
- ‘What does come through, not altogether attractively, is a steely determination in these well-born girls to stick with their own kind.’
- ‘As for the non-royal Egyptians, even well-born scribes and functionaries are shown kneeling or sitting cross-legged, in the non-propped positions still used by the majority of peoples around the world.’
- ‘It was also optimistic and in this way at least egalitarian, the moral sense and common sense being shared by all men and not merely the educated and well-born.’
- ‘The daughter falls for a well-born local Italian boy; the mother wavers between support and resistance; a heartbreaking secret haunts the story.’
- ‘A well-born girl was supposed to make a good marriage.’
- ‘Imagine, a well-born young gentleman like himself, actually carrying something heavy!’
- ‘They are part of a group of rich, well-born folk having a bit of a holiday and dressing up as shepherds and shepherdesses.’
- ‘I tilted my head back, sighing, wondering again how I had come to be like this, one of the many young well-born and well-dowered hostages in court.’
- ‘There were more governesses than there were well-born children these days.’
- ‘Nothing is recorded about Aristotle's early education; but since he came from a rich and learned family, he no doubt received the sort of literary and gymnastic training which was normal for a well-born Greek.’
- ‘Were he to observe today's scene, he might make the same pronouncement about well-born producers.’
- ‘Whatever they did, they did it well, for they could rely on a good education and on the self-assurance common to well-born individuals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.