One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exclamation of incredulity, surprise, or vexation.
- ‘Well, I do declare, that woman spoils you all rotten!’
- ‘Why, Mister Zee, I do declare: that's two questions, you naughty, naughty - oh, enough with the Scarlett O'Hara-isms already.’
- ‘Why Ms. Faun, I do declare that sounds like a half baked attempt at seducing me.’
- ‘She gave me a funny look… I do declare, dear readers, that she thought it was me!’
- ‘George, I do declare that you have started to blush!’
- ‘Biche is more ‘me and my friends’ fluff, the everyday adventures of a British journalist in Paris written by - well, I declare - a British journalist in Paris.’
- ‘‘Well, I do declare, it's my job to see if any of these poor folks need any old thing,’ Brown said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.