One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a thin-coated, typically gray breed of pointer used as a gun dog.
- ‘The Weimaraner is an excellent gun dog, which originally hunted big game.’
- ‘The early German shepherd dog, Great Dane, schnauzer and Weimaraner are also mentioned as influences.’
- ‘Examples are Basset Hounds, Greyhounds, Beagles, Dachshunds, Afghans and the Weimaraner.’
- ‘Vincent remembered watching a Weimaraner as a child.’
- ‘The presence of rare breeds like English Mastiff and Weimaraner added charm to the show.’
- ‘They escaped by climbing through a back window before turning back to search for Holly, a Weimaraner, they had left in their car.’
- ‘Mrs Jordan has two Weimaraner dogs, which she enjoys walking in the forest.’
- ‘They are now offering a £500 reward for the safe return of their Weimaraner.’
1940s: from German, from Weimar in Germany, where the breed was developed.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.