Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or activity of lifting barbells or other heavy weights. There are two standard lifts in modern weightlifting: the single-movement lift from floor to extended position (the snatch), and the two-movement lift from floor to shoulder position, and from shoulders to extended position (the clean and jerk)
- ‘To build stamina and strength for the game, Greg took up boxing and weightlifting.’
- ‘The tournament is expected to be one of the most remarkable displays of athleticism that the sport of weightlifting has seen.’
- ‘The 2000 Olympic Games was the first to allow women to compete in the sport of weightlifting.’
- ‘I was given the position because I showed extensive knowledge of weightlifting and basic exercise.’
- ‘History shows that track cycling probably has the worst record of any of our Olympic sports other than weightlifting.’
- ‘Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.’
- ‘Heavy weightlifting, bicycle riding and scuba diving should be discouraged.’
- ‘After returning from a summer vacation, I decided to take up weightlifting.’
- ‘Try to do cardio workouts on separate days from your weightlifting or at least at different times of day.’
- ‘And with other sports such as darts, bowls, table tennis, boccia and weightlifting, there was something to suit all tastes.’
- ‘Today I enjoy weightlifting, Spinning class and running for an hour at a time.’
- ‘The burning desire I have for weightlifting has played a tremendous role in my life.’
- ‘When you think of burning calories, you probably don't think of weightlifting.’
- ‘Sports like gymnastics, weightlifting and volleyball apply more stimulation for bone growth than running.’
- ‘Heavy weightlifting or similar activities that require straining are discouraged.’
- ‘Already a keen table tennis player, he added weightlifting to his sports regime and has never looked back.’
- ‘One of the first things you learn when you're new to weightlifting is how to order your muscle groups.’
- ‘It would be no exaggeration to say that, in the history of Bulgarian sport, weightlifting has been the country's strength.’
- ‘When it comes to weightlifting, deciding on the proper intensity to use is pretty straightforward.’
- ‘Boxing and weightlifting also have multiple divisions by bodyweight.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.