One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official or regular weighing of something or someone, e.g., of boxers before a fight.
- ‘The Scarborough fighter had threatened to walk out of the fight unless the weigh-in was switched to Friday to prevent problems with dehydration.’
- ‘At the weigh-in before Liston, Floyd had nothing but nice things to say about his fearsome opponent.’
- ‘With no flights available due to overbooking and the official weigh-in only six hours away, her dream of competing was again in jeopardy.’
- ‘How do you feel about the big weight gains some fighters make between weigh-ins and fight time?’
- ‘The challenger and local hero was reportedly nervous-looking at the official weigh-in yesterday.’
- ‘Sports writers will tell you that Muhammad Ali put on his crazy act at weigh-ins deliberately.’
- ‘Official weigh-in for all the bouts is at Mdantsane Sun at 12 pm tomorrow.’
- ‘When a doctor says he is working with a patient closely it means that he's having her come in for regular weigh-ins and giving diet advice.’
- ‘At the weigh-in, Clay appeared to be on the point of nervous collapse.’
- ‘The day before the fight was the weigh-in he signed another boxing contract without my knowledge.’
- ‘Both fighters made the weight limit in their official weigh-in.’
- ‘The film shows Ali acting up at the weigh-in for the Liston fight.’
- ‘Regular weigh-ins at your clinic or doctor's surgery will give you an idea of how well your baby is doing.’
- ‘Then I got to the gym and we did my monthly weigh-in and measurements.’
- ‘Official weigh-ins only take place a day before the fight.’
- ‘Simpemba said the boxers' weigh-in would be at 10: 00 hours the same day.’
- ‘I might not be down as much as I'd like to be, but I will see a reduction at my official weigh-in.’
- ‘Besides running her own classes, Dawn still attends her regular Slimming World group for her weekly weigh-in - to make sure she doesn't start to pile on the pounds again.’
- ‘Kyle arrived late for the official weigh-in on Thursday, October 28, which didn't sit well with contest officials.’
- ‘Makepula leaves for the fight today for an official weigh-in at the same venue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.