Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Tearful; inclined to weep.‘a weepy clingy child’
tearful, in tears, crying, weeping, sobbing, wailing, snivelling, whimperingclose to tears, on the verge of tears, with tears in one's eyesemotional, upset, distressed, sad, unhappygreetingteary, blubbing, blubberinglachrymose, larmoyantView synonyms
- ‘I don't want him to see me all weepy with gratitude.’
- ‘I don't mean to get all weepy, I'm just… really sensitive is all.’
- ‘Baby blues may leave you feeling weepy, easily upset, or excessively worried for 3 to 4 weeks.’
- ‘Jon likes to pretend he's the hard-core guy, but he is the softest-hearted, most emotional, weepy, spiritual guy inside.’
- ‘You will return to my blog and blubber all over me in weepy gratitude once you've heard them.’
- ‘I was weepy all night!’
- ‘I hate that I am weepy and don't get anything done at all.’
- ‘I also feel very weepy, clingy, and generally over emotional, but it only seems to happen at night.’
- ‘Discovered in a dustbin, weepy April Showers grows up in foster homes.’
- ‘I was very upset and emotionally drained, and very weepy.’
- ‘Andromeda does not like it when I am unhappy and weepy.’
- ‘Children who need Pulsatilla tend to be weepy, sensitive, and clingy.’
- ‘The childless-by-choice generation are a world away from the image of weepy Bridget Jones characters.’
- ‘Now was not the time to get all emotional and weepy.’
- 1.1Sentimental.‘a weepy made-for-TV movie’
mawkish, over-sentimental, overemotional, cloying, sickly, saccharine, sugary, sugar-coated, syrupyView synonyms
- ‘If the soundtrack is any indication, the movie will alternate between sleep-inducing banality, weepy sentiment, and dumb stunts.’
- ‘There was none of the weepy sentimentality of the crowds who camped out on the night before Princess Diana's funeral.’
- ‘That thread is dropped, though, in favor of a number of weepy aspects that drive the ending to saccharine heights.’
- ‘IF YOU are a fan of romantic comedies or good old - fashioned weepy films then you'll know that the soundtrack makes the film.’
- ‘As a young woman I was a great fan of the caution-to-the-winds romantic gesture, mostly found in books and weepy melodramas.’
- ‘While you have to drag me kicking and screaming into sentimental, weepy Disney flicks, this one really got me.’
- ‘Later this weekend possibly I will see a weepy movie.’
- ‘The problem with weepy movies much of the time is that they're made to tug at your heartstrings, and they use every trick in the book to do so.’
- ‘Blimey, what a Christmas week for weepy movies.’
- ‘It was a weepy movie with a feel-good ending.’
- ‘I like sad songs, weepy movies, I'm a sentimental drunk.’
- ‘Emma Thompson gives Carrington plenty of emotional gravity, carrying off scenes that might otherwise seem weepy and sentimental by giving them a touch of the pathological.’
- ‘I think that some people thought she played her role too weepy and cutesy.’
A sentimental or emotional film, novel, or song.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.