One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who weeps.
- ‘Ivy wasn't much of a weeper - she only let it out if the situation was really grave - but her voice was enough to indicate her hopelessness.’
- ‘President George W Bush, his brothers and their father are big weepers, according to the American writer Kitty Kelley.’
- ‘Isn't there some saying about finder's keeper, loser weeper?’
- ‘I'm not a weeper, generally speaking, but yesterday I wept freely.’
- ‘The most famous early modern weeper was the sixteenth-century Spaniard Ignatius of Loyola, whose copious tears filled the pages of his Spiritual Diary.’
- ‘For all the crushed weepers, there are those who take it on the chin.’
- ‘The screams of terror, cries of agony, were now replaced by despairing wails and echoing voices of mournful weepers.’
- ‘He considers tears to be gifts from God that demonstrate sorrow and compel others to have compassion for the weeper.’
- ‘Sorry to be such a weeper, but my nerves are clearly overstressed.’
- 1.1historical A hired mourner at a funeral.
- 1.2 A small image of a mourner on a monument.
- ‘He invented a particular tomb format whereby the deceased was guaranteed eternal mourning by the sculpted weepers that surrounded the sarcophagus.’
- ‘He not show flashings and weepers in his drawings.’
2North Americananother term for weepy (noun)
- ‘The earnest weeper E.T. became the highest-grossing film of all time.’
- ‘I draw the line at sappy actionless weepers, though.’
- ‘Given the theme - children separated from their parents - Kindertransport could easily have been a multi-hankie weeper.’
- ‘There is a wonderful old weeper called Penny Serenade.’
- ‘The formula in brief: mid-tempo rockers and acoustic weepers with tasteful violin, banjo or other country accoutrements.’
- ‘It was a real weeper, with David Powlett-Jones gradually coming to terms with the loss of Beth and the twins.’
- ‘Jurado comes off like the Springsteen of indie rock, utilizing his ragged throat and commanding presence for both hooky rockers and solemn weepers.’
- ‘The two real weepers that stand out for me are White Palace with Susan Sarandon, and Ghost.’
3weepershistorical Funeral garments, in particular a man's crepe hatband worn or a widow's black crepe veil and white cuffs.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.