Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for wiener
- ‘All that can be said with any certainty is that in the closing decades of the 19th century frankfurters and wienies were being sold in buns in various cities in the USA.’
- ‘The essence of baseball food is a bun-wrapped wiener - be it hot dog, bratwurst or sausage.’
- ‘Is it the taste of the charred meat - steak, hamburger, wieners whatever - or dining out in the fresh air that raises exhilaration to such a high level?’
- ‘Sneer at hot dogs all you want but a well-made wiener is a thing of beauty.’
- ‘Billy and I sat across from each other eating hot wieners and sharing a plate of cheese fries.’
2vulgar slang A man's penis.
- 2.1informal A weak, socially inept, or boringly studious person.‘newer programming languages are a favorite of the tech weenies’idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- 2.1informal A weak, socially inept, or boringly studious person.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.