One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list of items that a couple about to get married have asked to receive as presents.
- ‘To avoid dragging crystal cut glasses out from under the stairs for the best part of this century, create a wedding list at Good Gifts or Nearly Married.’
- ‘This has fuelled evermore imaginative and, in some cases, extravagant wedding lists.’
- ‘Four in ten said they prefer to choose a gift from a wedding list whilst over half prefer to choose a gift themselves.’
- ‘For couples about to embark on a formal rollercoaster ride of commitment, I reckon essential elements on the wedding list are games machines and cooperative titles.’
- ‘I shall put one on my wedding list.’
- ‘Some people consider wedding lists vulgar, but then they probably inherited all their china.’
- ‘Earlier this year, 2,000 couples were left without their presents when the wedding list retailer Wrapit collapsed.’
- ‘Wedding lists are for people who don't have two tea-towels to rub together because they're nineteen and live in Stamford Hill.’
- ‘If only I'd gone down the road most couples take and opted for a wedding list.’
- ‘We even have people registering their wedding lists with us.’
- ‘Department store chain John Lewis reported last year that the value of its wedding lists had risen by 20 per cent in a single year.’
- ‘And at a mere 48 years old, there should be loads of time left for him to notch up a few more wedding lists.’
- ‘He lives in Shetland so he put his wedding list on the internet which was a great idea.’
- ‘Brown Thomas has gone live with a new computerised wedding gift service, which allows couples to scan the barcodes of items they wish to place on their wedding list.’
- ‘Of the £ 3,533 worth of presents on the wedding list, no less than one-third are connected with alcohol.’
- ‘If I ever got married again the first thing on the wedding list would be ' no towels '. "’
- ‘As society develops and changes so customs such as the wedding list are changing too.’
- ‘Even guests are having to pay out more to attend the big day, with the total cost of the wedding list rising by 1,500 in the past two years alone.’
- ‘Wedding lists normally request items for the house, cutlery, crockery and such like.’
- ‘Now it also contains a unique new section created by Paula Onslow, who has years of experience in helping couples to plan and organise their perfect wedding list.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.