One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Strong, closely woven fabric used for straps, belts, etc., and for supporting the seats of upholstered chairs.
mesh, netting, net, latticeView synonyms
- ‘It attaches to the suspension webbing with a hook/loop strap.’
- ‘The girls were lounging on the grass; Ann sat in a decrepit aluminum chair, its woven webbing frayed.’
- ‘Linen was also used for fire hoses, parachute webbing and heavy-duty canvas.’
- ‘Narrow strips of fabric or leather webbing were interlaced across a seat frame, and a piece of linen was tacked above it.’
- ‘The harness consists of two shoulder straps, made from a medium-grade webbing, which are comfortable and mould to your torso without being too stiff.’
- ‘To remedy this, there is a loop of webbing on the bottom of the pack to put a waist strap through and keep it from sliding up.’
- ‘I'm even more surprised that there's no secondary securing mechanism, such as strapping or webbing, round the piles of plates in the cupboard.’
- ‘If you want to add more, get webbing, backpack straps, metal buckles and so forth.’
- ‘Attached to a single center of gravity by a harness made of strong webbing, hang gliders fly with bodies vertical.’
- ‘The sling itself is available in 1-inch or 1.25-inch widths and is made of heavy nylon webbing.’
- ‘The end goes around the tree, and the rest of the line passes through the loop, making it adjustable and in theory placing much less stress on knotted webbing, although I have no evidence that says it really does this.’
- ‘Each harness is made of wide, heavy-duty nylon webbing to better distribute the work load and thick padding for extra comfort.’
- ‘If you have been in an accident, replace the seat belts and the webbing of the child restraint used during the accident.’
- ‘The boards are then shaped with hand tools, given four or five coats of yacht varnish, and have a webbing hand strap attached.’
- ‘There are three-point seatbelts for every passenger, and force-limiting devices on the belts on the four outer seats prevent bruising from the webbing.’
- ‘It was available in oak weave or with cotton webbing, a seat covering more suggestive of indoor use.’
- ‘Instead of a ribbon tie, use nylon webbing that slips through two small metal loops or a buckle.’
- ‘While they come in many shapes and sizes, snowshoes tend to have a wooden frame with webbing stretched around it.’
- ‘I have a piece of purple webbing knotted in a loop that I untie and wrap around my forearm.’
- ‘There were two foldable aluminum seats with nylon webbing.’
2The part of a baseball glove between the thumb and forefinger.
- ‘You try to expose as much glove as you can and hope to catch it in the webbing.’
- ‘I came in and I knew I could make a play, but the webbing in my glove was like a string.’
- ‘Reiser went to his left on the play, put up his glove and the ball stuck in the webbing.’
- ‘Pinch the webbing between your thumb and index finger and push toward the bottom knuckle of your index finger.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.