One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An observation post where weather conditions and meteorological data are observed and recorded.
- ‘Meteorologist Graham Fullarton, who has a weather station in his garden, is predicting that September will be a sizzler.’
- ‘Now a government minister has announced that readings will instead be taken from a Met Office weather station 12 miles away high on the hills at Wood head.’
- ‘The estimated crop water use is calculated based on local weather information collected at an automated weather station.’
- ‘The local weather station recorded almost 140 mm of rain between Friday morning and yesterday morning.’
- ‘And, back in 2000 we reported on an automated weather station that had been set up at the North Pole and was sending back data.’
- ‘John Campbell, a meteorologist who also lives in Monteverde, had been keeping daily records of temperature and rainfall since 1973 at a weather station on the study site.’
- ‘Other local opinions/theories have called the facility a weather station, an atmospheric test facility, and a radar site.’
- ‘Belmullet (which is the closest weather station to Sligo) recorded the highest total rainfall for the month at 206 millilitres.’
- ‘An automatic weather station was also installed to record rainfall, wind speed and wind direction.’
- ‘At lunchtime on Saturday, Coldstones weather station was recording a wind chill temperature of minus 10 degrees.’
- ‘Hourly meteorological data (air temperature, precipitation and solar radiation) were measured at an automated weather station 300 m from the field site.’
- ‘For the last experiment, weather data were obtained from a weather station located on the research site.’
- ‘In the first half of the century there were no satellites or radar, and it wasn't until 1921 that a weather station was established on Willis Island.’
- ‘We are introducing the concept of making a school weather station.’
- ‘By linking to your computer you can then feed that information directly to a web site and have your own weather station that can be viewed on the Internet by anybody day or night.’
- ‘Alan Pemberton, of Huntington, recorded 21 mm of rain at his miniature weather station on Wednesday, and in the first week of July the figure was 28 mm.’
- ‘Temperatures recorded at the coldest weather station in South Africa, Buffelsfontein near Molteno, have shown that June was by far the coldest month of the year in the area since 1994.’
- ‘Interested members of the Club have been taking the measurements for some time and they are now hopeful of getting a full weather station established in the area in March or April of this year.’
- ‘At Belmullet (the nearest weather station to Sligo) rainfall totals were 14% above normal for the time of year.’
- ‘During the experiment, environmental conditions were monitored using an automated weather station located in a forest clearing near to the trees studied.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.