One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tendency in a sailing ship to head into the wind if the tiller is released.‘the shape of this hull will generate substantial weather helm’
- ‘Sailboats are usually designed to have a slight amount of weather helm under normal conditions.’
- ‘The swing centerboard models built after 89 can reduce weather helm by pulling up the board a little.’
- ‘This is a dinghy design, but the principles of balance and weather helm are just the same.’
- ‘Remember, it is always desirable to have at least a little weather helm under all conditions.’
- ‘Other than developing considerable weather helm as she heels, she doesn't have any particularly disturbing characteristics under sail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.